Saturday, February 28, 2009


(This article was originally written in the summer of 2004 after walking in the 60K to Weekend to End Breast Cancer ) by Loralee Hutton

I was terrified of walking 60 KM. I really was! But the planning committee for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer did an amazing thing. They broke it up into little chunks. And all I needed to focus on was getting to the next rest stop, somewhere between 3.4 km and 4.5 km away. When I arrived I had time to refresh, use the porta-loo, refill my water bottle, grab a little snack and visit the medic tent. Each time I approached the tents I'd really think about my physical condition – do my feet hurt? Are there any 'hot spots'? Is it possible that someone in the medical tent could make the next 4 km any easier for me? Do I need any food? How was my fluid consumption during the last 4 km? Checking in this frequently meant that I was able to get through the whole walk without any serious injury. I saw so many people who had to drop out because they didn't want to waste the medical teams' time, or felt that their problem was too little. I'm not saying that I was pain free… and I was really stiff on Sunday evening, and most of the day on Monday. But I felt so inspired. I did something I really thought I couldn't do – and I did it just 4 km at a time. It occurred to me tonight that...



I've been hearing this same message in Business. Sometimes I follow the rules, and sometimes I get lazy. But thinking about it tonight made me realize that there are some really great fundamental rules I've learned from this great 60 km weekend walk.



  1. Set your goals – I set my goal to walk 60 KM in two days. It seemed outrageous to me. AND, I also had to raise $2000 to participate (I made it to $2110 – and the Edmonton group raised a total of $4.5 Million). In business and life we need to set some outrageous goals too. Give it some good thought. Set up a training schedule, buy the right tools (for the walk I bought new runners, special walking socks, anti-blister care, a backpack with water holder, etc.) It can require a lot of planning. And if you like making lists as much as I do – then this part of the process will really make you excited.
  2. Show up for training – pretty self explanatory. But I think it's also important to make sure your schedule is realistic. The schedule they suggested was far too intense for me. I spent a lot of time feeling guilty about not meeting their training schedule, and almost convinced myself that I wasn't prepared for the walk because of it. I learned that I need to trust my instincts and commit to something realistic. This is important in business too. Sometimes we have grand ideas during the planning phase, but as we're implementing it we realize that it's not practical. Be true to yourself, and make amendments to your plan. Just make sure it's still going to get you to your end goal.
  3. Take some time just before the event It's important to take a breather just before the event. Celebrate that you're nearly there. Take a deep breath and show up.
  4. Break it up into small pieces it's a lot easier to handle 4 km at a time, obviously. So how can we do this in business? It's part of the 'list planning' process. Set up 'mini-goals' and make sure you've given yourself enough time and resources to get there when planned.
  5. Check in to make sure everything is okay when you hit your 'mini goals'
    – when I arrived at every check stop I made sure I didn't have any injuries, or needed food & water. In business we need to do the same. Do you see any signs of injuries? Are your long term clients suffering while you're working on a new project? Is your family life okay? Life balance? Are you taking enough time for yourself?
  6. Celebrate small achievements – you've made it to the first & second and 3rd mini-goal. Pat yourself on the back. Great job. Take a short break, stretch a bit, and even if you're a little stiff, sore or tired – pick up the pieces and get back on the path. There is still more to be done, and you already know how to do it. So get the work done so you can celebrate the big prize at the end.


Solving breast cancer – if we can break it down into one weekend at a time we might be able to solve the problem. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but we have to take the steps to get there.

And the same can be said for business! Break your goals into small steps, take time to celebrate the successes, and make sure you have the support you need (the medical tent), and you'll make it to the BIG goal!




No comments: