- Date Change for "Catch Up Day!' OCTOBER 15, 2009 - See all of the details at www.catchupday.com
- QuickBooks 2010 Canadian Edition is coming very soon. It's the answer for so many of us who have been using the stand alone version Multi-Currency. Please don't upgrade before consulting me, or your trusted advisor, as there are many great changes, but they do require a bitof pre-planning. Ask me if you have any questions about upgrading. You can still purchase
Thursday, October 01, 2009
Saturday, August 15, 2009
"If you're feeling like this guy, then please set aside September 18th in your calendar."
In April we hosted our first "Catch Up Bookkeeping Day!" with great results. One participant sorted through and prepared everything she needed to complete 4 years of back taxes. Another entered all of his transaction for the first quarter of the tax year. And another started using QuickBooks for the first time, sorted out her paperwork, and had it ready to hand off to a brand new assistant the following week. What could this day be like for you?
Saturday, August 01, 2009
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Sunday, June 21, 2009
This week I'm recruiting small business owners like you, for the online version of "Do It Yourself Bookkeeping". It was a success in a local setting, with desk, laptops & papers. And now I have the infrastructure to bring the service directly to your office.
But, it won't be the same without one trial run.An opportunity to test and retest to make sure that everything is working from your end. With different operating systems, with different levels of knowledge. And, of course, different personalities, and levels of motivation.
Click Here if you know someone who has a tendency to put off doing their bookkeeping... OR, if that person is you?
Thursday, June 11, 2009
They aren't mutually exclusive, are they?
Check out the Toilet Paper Entrepreneur today for Mikes newest post. You'll find over 100 reminders of why YOU are on the right path!
OH! Look for my Tip (somewhere between #5 and #20). Shameless plug! I know...
Have a fantastic day!
Saturday, June 06, 2009
He's being a responsible Dad! I commend that! But what if he could build a business quickly and solidly? What if he could create that flexible schedule so that he could be there for his son this autumn. If you're working in a bookkeeper capacity right now, or you've taken an accounting or bookkeeping diploma - maybe it's time to look at the 6 week e-course I'm offering this summer.
The ExtraOrdinary Bookkeeper!
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
The Missing Thread Intensive
See you there!
Monday, May 18, 2009
Do you ever find yourself at loose ends on a long weekend? I've wrapped myself up in my business and "work" for almost a decade ~ and I find that when I'm faced with a long weekend, I'm often at loose ends. Should I go to the office & "catch up" on work? Or stay home and rest & rejuvenate? Or, go for a day trip out of town?
I still don't know the answer! Something to ponder, and write about later.
Hope your Victoria Day is delightful!
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
“Recession Rescue with Rapid Results:
Monday, May 11, 2009
- 3 separate colors
- File folder labels (ink jet or laser printer labels from Avery work best)
- Sticky file clips (find the real name for these 2 hole punched things)
- “ENTERED” stamp (only documents that have an entered stamp on them should be put into the filing cabinet.
1. Create a template for what your customer files should look like - it’s much easier to start out the way you intend to proceed. Create one file that’s your “PERFECT CLIENT FILE” and then mimic them all after this one file. Do you need a checklist on the front page? What documents need to be in each file? Has all of the contact information been entered into your data base, contact system, and then transferred to your accounting system?
2. Customer Files - choose one file folder color for your customers start setting up your customer files based on the template you set up in step 1
3. Vendor files - create one folder for each supplier or subcontractor. This includes utility companies, and city taxes for example. As a general rule, if you have more than 3 pieces of paper for this company each year you can create a file folder to hold the receipts. As the year progresses & you need to reference documents you’ll find this step to be very helpful. On the labels make sure you note which fiscal year these files pertain to. For example, the file folder may look like this: TELUS COMMUNICATIONS - FY09
4. Current Accounts Payables (or UNPAID BILLS) - Keep a separate folder that holds any unpaid bills. As soon as you’ve written the cheque, paid by credit card or transferred funds then transfer them into the vendor folders . Remember that they’re in this file when searching for current documents.
5. To Be Entered - this should include your most current receipts that still need to be entered into your accounting software. Once marked with an entered stamp, simply file them in the appropriate vendor file folder. In some cases they may be placed into a “to be filed” folder if you have an administrative person who files documents at a later date.
6. Government & Banking - Keep another section and color for banking and government related documents. These often need to be held beyond the current fiscal year & won’t be packed into long term storage as quickly.
7. Employees & Payroll - Keep your payroll and employee information in a separate and secure location. Not with the information that your other employees can access while serving your clients need & the relationships with your vendors. These files should also be labelled with the calendar year, and look something like this: JOHN SMITH - 2009
8. Long term Storage - At the end of a year (or if your company is still small enough to store only in a filing box) move your documents to a bankers box, write clearly on at least 3 sides this information: Company Name, Fiscal Year, and these words, “DESTROY AFTER XXXX” (fill in the year that the box can be destroyed. In Canada you must store them for an additional 6 years. Check with your government regulations to be sure.
For other articles by Loralee Hutton go to her company website at www.red2black.ca
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Thursday, March 26, 2009
"If you're feeling like this guy, then please set aside April 9th in your calendar."
You may want to be in your office alone, or bring in an entire crew. Just set aside April 9th in your calendar as THE DAY to get it done.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
(this is one of the pictures I took on my blackberry on a beach in Los Angeles the day before the Freedom Formula Experience)
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Everyone seems to be talking about ‘blogging’, don’t they? Do you ask yourself if it’s right for you? Is there a way to Make Money Online with blogging?
I think there is!
Blogs are a great way to share information, give opinions, and make some great money.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
(This article was originally written in the summer of 2004 after walking in the 60K to Weekend to End Breast Cancer ) by Loralee Hutton
I was terrified of walking 60 KM. I really was! But the planning committee for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer did an amazing thing. They broke it up into little chunks. And all I needed to focus on was getting to the next rest stop, somewhere between 3.4 km and 4.5 km away. When I arrived I had time to refresh, use the porta-loo, refill my water bottle, grab a little snack and visit the medic tent.
Sunday, January 04, 2009
FREE Audio: How to Consciously Capitalize on the Biggest Trend in Business Ever
There’s a massive and very EXCITING trend happening in business today. And, entrepreneurs who are aware of this trend (and know how to consciously capitalize on it) are making more mo*ney, experiencing more freedom and having a bigger impact on the world... no matter what’s going on around them.
My friend and colleague, Christine Kloser, award-win*ning author of The Freedom Formula and producer of The Freedom Formula Experience (this January), has taught me a lot about this trend and the NEW model for extraordinary success and true entrepreneurial freedom. After hearing her talk on this topic, I just HAD to share it with you, and also make sure you knew about her LIVE Freedom Formula Experience this January!
Here’s the scoop...
Christine wants to give you a F-R-E-E audio of her eye-opening talk, “How to Consciously Capitalize on the Biggest Trend in Business Ever.” I’ve listened to this talk and it’s truly life-changing. Trust me; you’ll want to listen right away! Download it now at:
And, while you’re at that site, you’ll also learn more about exactly how to put Christine’s Freedom Formula to work in your business... so you can fully embrace this trend and easily experience your full potential as an entrepreneur. Christine will be teaching this formula along with a star-studded cast of world famous visionaries this January at The Freedom Formula Experience, including:
• Neale Donald Walsch, Best-selling author of Conversations with God• James Twyman, producer/director of The Moses Code• Marianne Williamson, best-selling author of A Return to Love• David Neagle, author of The Art of Success• And more!
Simply click here to receive your F-R-E-E audio and get the full scoop on The Freedom Formula Experience. I hope to see you there!
Saturday, January 03, 2009
And I've been searching for answers throughout the entire year of 2008. I've become a student again, but in a way that might not have been possible 5 years ago (which is coincidentally when I was last in school full time ~ finishing my degree). I think I've attended over 100 different teleseminars; some free and some not. And purchased countless e-books about topics related to marketing, process improvements, travel, travel writing, self help writing & spiritual development; just to name a few.
I save the audios & listen to them on my Mp3 player, while working on projects in my office, plugged into my stereo in the car, or while I'm surfing the net or chatting with friends in the evening.
I guess it's just a time for questioning the way things "were" and trying to find a better way. That's what growth is about, right? There is often pain, discomfort & then a break through - maybe even a growth spurt?
I've decided to attend a seminar this month that I believe will be the catalyst for change. And I'm almost "giggly" with anticipation. I want to see what's on the other side, yet I know I can be patient, and will leave my mind open to whatever comes my way. I know that the answer will somehow incorporate a combination of all the things I'm truly passionate about. And maybe along the way I'll find someone who's truly passionate about the daily operations of a bookkeeping business? And someone who loves to prepare tax returns & someone else who's an amazing business coach.
And in the meantime ~ I have a business to run, with fabulous clients who deserve my full attention. And that's what I'll do! Provide the best possible service I can, while continuing to keep my eyes, ear & heart open to the next chapter.
Until Next time,
p.s. If you want to know about the Freedom Formula Experience January 22-25, 2009 click here with these amazing speakers:
- Neal Donald Walsch, Author of Conversation with God
- James Twyman, Author and Film Producer
- Marianne Williamson, Author of the Age of Miracles
- David Neagle, "the income acceleration coach"
- Christine Kloser, Author of the Freedom Formula Experience